Requirements to Apply for a Real Estate Salesperson License
The information provided is a summary of the California Bureau of Real Estate examination requirements, these can be found in California BRE’s website. We recommend that you contact them for detailed information and any latest updates.
- Age: You must be 18 years of age or older to be issued a license.
- Residence: Proof of Legal Presence in the United States is required. If you are not a California resident, see Out-of-State Applicants.
- Honesty: Applicants must be honest and truthful. Conviction of a crime may result in the denial of a license. Failure to disclose any criminal violation or disciplinary action in an applicant’s entire history may also result in the denial of a license. For further information, see Avoid Potential Denial of Your License Application (RE 229) and Application Eligibility Information (RE 222) .
Successful completion of three college-level courses is required to qualify for a real estate salesperson examination:
- Real Estate Principles, and
- Real Estate Practice, and
- One course from the following list:
- Real Estate Appraisal
- Property Management
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Economics
- Legal Aspects of Real Estate
- Real Estate Office Administration
- General Accounting
- Business Law
- Mortgage Loan Brokering and Lending
- Computer Applications in Real Estate
- Common Interest Developments